November 22, 2006

Aversion... Then Conversion

For most of my life I went to great lengths to avoid writing anything more than I absolutely had to. The requirement to write was like acne to me — it was unpleasant and it would surface at the most unexpected and inconvenient times.

But in more than 25 years of business and technology product management and brand marketing, I could never escape from writing. Invariably, my job would require me to produce such things as business plans, advertising copy, brochures, flyers, direct mail, signage, manuals, websites, and even a subscription-based newsletter. Writing was unavoidable.

Emerson once said that “Fear always springs from ignorance.” So instead of trying to avoid, I invested... in course after course at the University of Toronto to help me write better and write more. I joined writer’s groups and I read everything and anything I could find about the craft of writing. In doing all that, I discovered a joy in writing, a true avocation, and a new vocation. Who knew?

If you're looking for a writer that is reliable, both left- and right-brained, easy-to-direct and easy-to-work-with, look over some of my work at KLynn Business Consultants.